Yesterday I blamed about the lack-of-feature in WordPress.com and said about the possibility of hosting my blog elsewhere. Quite luckily, today when I step upon someone else’s blog for something I notice there’s a 3rd option, which is to host a blog on Github. This interests me a lot.
After checking the intro on Github Pages, There’s quite some Pros to host a blog on Github:
- It’s free, even with custom host name.
- It uses git for version control (this could be huge advantage if one day I find some changes I made on a blog is a mistake).
- There are many free plugins repoed on Github already, with the edge-bleeding version!.
- It can be accessed anywhere, especially not blocked by China yet.
- No Ads!
Learning new tools is never a problem for me, at least mentally. But to decide whether to migrate my blog form wordpress.com to github still need some further study, especially:
- How many features does the blog tool for github hosting offers. So far I notice there’re Octopress and Jekyll. Need to check further for their limitation.
- Whether I can monitor the reader stats as easily as I have now in wordpress.com.
- Whether I can have the same plugins and features I have now in wordpress.com.
- How many themes and templates available to choose, or to make.
- How many time and effort do I need for the migration.
So later on when I have some free time, I will try to set up a test blog and will see how it goes.
My formatting on the previous hotkeys post is terrible. And yes I admit that I’m being lazy to write html code to beatify it up. However I think it is more a responsibility on WordPress.com, that is to provide user a better kitchen sink with table controls, which in my opinion a fairly standard request in blogging.
For WordPress.org user they do not have such problem as they are free to install bunch of table plugins. I hate to find myself again being a WordPress.com user with so many restriction as compared with the counterparts users.
In one post I found in WordPress.com support forum someone said there’s no whatsoever table plugins in WordPress.com. (See: Plugin MCE Table Button)
But in the Support page of WordPress.com it mentions they have MCE Table Buttons plugin preinstalled for enterprise user. (See Plugins — Support — WordPress.com).
So for having table formatting feature (and a lot of other things) for my web note, I either need to pay to become an enterprise user (don’t know what’s the difference from Premium user yet), or I go setup my own WordPress.org blog on a host or self-hosting it. For the latter option, in fact I’ve been thinking for quite some time (and almost decide to pay and get a host). However, to make such a move requires quite some preparation time and effort, which is something I don’t want to spend at the moment yet. So for now, I’ll stay put. (我忍～)
If anyone has any suggestion, please feel free to leave a comment.
As I’m now using MAC (use Windows before) for learning the coding and later on development, I find hotkeys for MAC and other new things I’m learning a must-used now. Just Google some useful hotkey and I will put them here for regular referencing and update.
HOME: command-left arrow
END: command-right arrow
# screen capture
capture the entire desktop: command-Shift-3.
copy the entire desktop: command-Control-Shift-3
capture a portion of the desktop: command-Shift-4
capture a specific application window: command-Shift-4, then Spacebar
It’s not finished yet and I’ll keep adding new hotkeys that I should repeatedly using on my code learning way, not necessary only for MAC.